February 1, 2015

Not guilty as charged

Last night little bird was getting hiccups. First they were normal soft ones, then it became strong.

We tried everything, but it just would not stop. By everything I actually mean giving him something to drink. He would not allow me to hold his breath, which is very understandable, and I was too lazy to find him a plastic bag.

So I tried the Bangla method, I tried scaring him. I gave him quiet a serious jhari, and it was most probably the first jhari of his life.

I just said two or three lines in a very strong voice, he then hugs me with his tiny hands and unable to meet my eyes he says 'ma, ami aar eom korbona' ( mother, I will never do it again) with all the guilt his little chest could bear.

Ure amar jaanta. Ure amar shona pakhita. If only I could make him understand that the cajoling was to stop his hiccups!

To me this was also a learning, as I got a hunch of a development milestone, whereby I now know that the little one can assign cause and effect relationship to events!

No comments:

Post a Comment